7 – 11 Mathematics
Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations of algorithms: it is about understanding.
Ms Suganthakumaran (Head of Mathematics)
Exam Board: Edexcel
Qualification: GCSE Mathematics
Examination: 100%, 3 papers (1 hour 30 minutes each), 1 Non-calculator, 2x non calculator.
Maths can be applied to all other subjects, there are so many applications. It is also one of the most applicable subjects to real life, you can’t really do anything without maths. Maths is the reason all our amazing technological advancements are possible. And maths can be fun! It provides infinite challenging problems that are incredibly satisfying to solve. It is a joy watching our students overcome their own barriers. It’s a great subject!
- Number: Including the ability to use a range of methods of computation and to use a calculator
- Algebra: The expression of relationships, their algebraic manipulation and the use of algebra to solve problems
- Shape, Space and Measures: Exploration of shape and space through drawing, theoretical and practical work, e.g. area, volume, angles etc.
- Handling Data: Use of statistical methods, the representation of data and problems involving probability
- Using and Applying Maths (Functional Skills)
- Through practical problem solving and mathematical investigations
- Ratio and Proportion
Using relationships between length, area, volume and other quantities such as currency to solve problems in a real life context
- Problem Solving
- Business management
- Attention to detail
- Financial planning
- Bletchley Park
- St Pauls’ Girls School Maths Lectures