Mathematics is a popular choice with students and builds on topics encountered at GCSE. However, it is important to emphasise that it must be enjoyed to consider it as an A Level subject; students should get a kick out of solving problems correctly and enjoy a challenge.
This specification gives a broad overview of what Mathematics is about and also requires the study of various topics in depth.
In the first year, students study Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematics (Statistics and Mechanics). In the second year, students study Pure Mathematics further and study Mechanics and Statistics in even greater depth.
At Hammersmith Academy, Mathematics is a valued activity beyond the requirements of the syllabus. Every year students are entered for the UKMT Maths Challenge.
Exam Board: Edexcel
Entry Requirements: Eight or more GCSEs at grades 9-4 including a minimum grade 7 in Mathematics.
- Even if you go on to study an arts degree at university, then having A-level Maths on your CV can be a great advantage for your future career, especially if you go on to work in the film visual effects industry.
- When you apply for a job it will show that you have got a head for numbers which may well also make you stand out from the crowd when applying for jobs in management, business or teaching.
- St Paul’s Girls’ School lecture
- Oxford University maths lectures
- Actuarial Science
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Engineering (General)
- Mechanical Engineering