A Level Spanish
Languages is the one subject which all of my friends say they wish they had studied more at school, it is so essential to be able to speak a language to not only travel the world but also to work in an increasingly globalised work place.
Ms Leon (Head of MFL)
Learning an additional language is an invaluable skill and can lead to many opportunities. The AS courses is designed to immerse students not just in the traditional grammatical elements of the language but also provide them with an insight into the culture and society where those languages are spoken.
The courses explore:
- Aspects of Hispanic/ French society
- Artistic culture in the Hispanic/Francophone world
- Multiculturalism in Hispanic/French society
- Aspects of political life in Hispanic/French countries
- A critical study of the concepts and issues covered in a film and a book and a critical and analytical response to features such as the form and the technique of presentation, as appropriate to the work studied (e.g. the effect of narrative voice in a prose text or camera work in a film).
- An independent research on an area of your choice.
Throughout the course, students will use online resources, newspapers, books and other authentic materials in target language. Assessment tasks will be varied and cover listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
Exam Board: AQA
Entry Requirements: Eight or more GCSEs at grades 9-4 including a minimum grade 7 in Spanish.
- Here are some of the skills you should have acquired:
- communication, including reading, writing and speaking foreign languages
- gathering, assessing and interpreting information
- leading and participating in discussions and groups
- conveying meaning precisely
- responding to others – from discussions in oral classes
- attention to detail
- boost in personal confidence and independence
- listening to other people
- problem solving
- Modern language jobs in education
- International development worker
- Broadcast journalist
- Business, logistics and finance careers
- Marketing, advertising and public relations (PR) careers