A Level Drama and Theatre Studies
I believe drama is an essential part of child development. It provides the key skills, confidence, discipline and imaginative freedom that is becoming increasingly essential in this day and age. From Greek amphitheatres, to Shakespeare, to Hairspray: I love every part of what is has been, is now, and will be.
Ms Cracknell (Head of Drama)
Drama and Theatre Studies not only develops performance skills, it improves creativity and communication, builds team work, confidence and promotes leadership and independent thinking. For this reason it is highly valued by universities when students apply for degree courses especially Law, English, Media and Drama.
Throughout the course, students will perform in a variety of plays, study influential practitioners, look at the history of drama and participate in numerous vocal and movement workshops. Students will work with visiting professionals and see live performances.
Learners will have access to the Academy’s Theatre, Dance and Drama studios which are all fully equipped with a lighting rig and PA. There will also be the opportunity to work within the local community and in professional theatre spaces.
Exam Board: Edexcel
Entry Requirements: Eight or more GCSEs at grades 9–4 including GCSE English, and minimum grade 6 in Drama or Distinction in BTEC Level 2 Performing Arts.
- Working collaboratively to create an original piece of theatre
- Gain depth of understanding of how texts are performed
- Analyse and evaluate own performances as well as those watched performed
- Technical knowledge of lighting, design and costume used within a performance
- Study and practically explore a wide range of play texts as well devising own work
- Study and exploration of influential theatre practitioners
- Many companies value a drama qualification because of the broad skillset that it gives you. It is worth thinking laterally about the professions where performance skills will be valued
- Various trips to theatres in London including
- The Lyric, Hammersmith
- Internal and external professional led workshops
- Arts administrator
- Stage manager